It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Future of Russian Government  (Read 47031 times)

Offline Phil dAmore

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Future of Russian Government
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2007, 05:35:15 AM »
Perhaps it will be easier for Russia to join EU soon, if they want to.

IMO Russia wants to join the EU, but not on the EU's terms.  They want the benefits that go with membership but still want to play by their own rules.

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. . as you grow older, it will avoid you.-- Winston Churchill

Offline phantom

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2007, 06:16:29 PM »
I see where today, the election and Putin's party appearently won the majority of votes, and they are saying something about the Russian constitution and possibly Putin controling the government.  How will this effect Russia's future, I also seen if there's enough in the Russian parliment, they could change the constitution for a third term for Presidency, allowing Putin to run for a third term.  Are the allegations true of threats and beatings true against the opposing parties and people being forced to vote for Putin's party?
Feel free to pm me, if have any advice, questions, or anything else.

Offline wxman

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
What's more revealing is that even though Putin's party recieved around 61% of the vote, the Communists came in second with 11.6%. 2 other parties came in over the minimum 7%. It was orignally thought Putin's party would get close to 80%, but now will have an opposition that will make up at least 30% of parliment. Not enough to stop legislation, but enough of a voice not to be ignored.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Mir

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2007, 11:42:59 PM »
Some of the other parties are allied to Putin's party. It is being estimated that the parties loyal to Kremlin will have 348 of the 450 seats in Parliament so the opposition will have around 20% of the seats.

Offline wxman

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007, 05:43:58 AM »
Some of the other parties are allied to Putin's party. It is being estimated that the parties loyal to Kremlin will have 348 of the 450 seats in Parliament so the opposition will have around 20% of the seats.

They are for now, but once the pie starts getting sliced, these smaller factions will not be too happy.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Mir

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2007, 06:25:23 AM »
Possibly,still whatever way it goes it does not look as democracy in Russia has a bright future.
Putin has already readopted the communist national anthem with modification of lyrics, certainly a pointer to his political intentions for Россия

Offline deccie

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »
I see where today, the election and Putin's party appearently won the majority of votes, and they are saying something about the Russian constitution and possibly Putin controling the government.  How will this effect Russia's future, I also seen if there's enough in the Russian parliment, they could change the constitution for a third term for Presidency, allowing Putin to run for a third term.  Are the allegations true of threats and beatings true against the opposing parties and people being forced to vote for Putin's party?

Did you not see the arrest of Kasparov or the arrest of several hundred in recent weeks before the election was held?

Offline deccie

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »
I'm surprised there has not been much discussion on this thread about the inflation hitting Russia right now.
From discussions with my fiance and with friends in St Petersburg I have heard the following:

1. Dairy products are increasing in price drastically over the last 3-4 months.

2. Meat products  appear to be the latest category increasing in price.

Anyone heard more?

I have also heard that some of the Russian airlines are planning significant price increases in fares next year. However, that could be in part a reflection of high fuel prices.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »
I'm surprised there has not been much discussion on this thread about the inflation hitting Russia right now.

Russia has inflation around 10% now. High fuel prices should help their country since they export more than they import. Their economy still sucks. America has given them a billion dollars in economic aid.

http://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rs.html
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2007, 03:25:38 PM »
It is remarkable that the communists had the second highest number of votes, ahead of more progressive parties. 

Proves that strong leadership is more appreciated by Russians than democracy.  Does this transfer to the home?    :D

Venezuelans, by rejecting Hugo's strategy, seem to be more politically savvy than Russians.

My Moscow woman's party failed to win one seat; she is discouraged.

BTW, inflation is affecting more the people in the provinces because their incomes have not increased compared to Moscow.

Europe will have its hands full in the 21st Century in dealing with this country.

Offline phantom

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »
Did you not see the arrest of Kasparov or the arrest of several hundred in recent weeks before the election was held?
Yes, I saw that I also saw the report that in some districts, people were given balot cards that were already filled out for Putin's party.

Offline wxman

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »
I read today where it is expected that the Russian surplus will dissapear in 5 years due to the rapidly rising increase in imports. Not good when they have basically reached the maximum output of oil and with some fields 80% drained. They will be lucky to maintain production at current levels for the next 5 to 10 years even with tapping into the harder to get oil. That's one of the big reasons Putin is cementing his power now. In 5 years it could be too late.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2007, 06:26:33 AM »
About Kasparov most Russians could not care less. He went to the USA to get a passport and money, and now he returns to tell how Russians should lead their lives... I do not think he can hand out enough money to win any election.  ;)
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline phantom

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »
Russian election called unfair
Foreign election observers and Russian opposition groups accused authorities Monday of manipulating a sweeping parliamentary victory for the party of President Vladimir Putin.

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22061094/from/ET/

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2007, 02:14:24 PM »
And no person or country has complained about any US elections being unfair?

Offline Mir

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2007, 03:46:58 PM »
BTW, inflation is affecting more the people in the provinces because their incomes have not increased compared to Moscow.

Normally one would expect the inflation to be lower in the provinces c/w Moscow.

Offline wxman

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »

I think more have complained that the American voter is not too bright.   :P

Offline wxman

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »
About Kasparov most Russians could not care less. He went to the USA to get a passport and money, and now he returns to tell how Russians should lead their lives... I do not think he can hand out enough money to win any election.  ;)

IBM's Big Blue should have run in his place.  :D

Offline phantom

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »

Which brings us to how Bush got into the white house, the first time.  The US Supreme court, so his first four years in office, was decided by judges, not "We the people"

Offline Gator

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »
Although I could never overlook the anti-democracy moves of Putin, I can understand why Russians voted for him.

Basically, there is still much work to be done to make Russia stable.  Russians realize this and they also realize that it will require a strong leader.  From what I can tell, the only legitimate strong leader running for office is Putin.  In other words, Russians had no choice.

Having no choice reminds me of presidential elections in America.  Bush has drawn much criticism, and justifiably so.  However, Kerry was not presidential material either.  Our next election will likely come down to two rather lackluster candidates. 

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline wxman

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »
I saw an interesting segment on HDNET tonight about the youth movement NASHI. (don't know if that is spelled right) Some of their ideals were admirable, but some were extreme and bordered on fanaticism. Some of it you can attribute to youthful ideals and feeling they can change the world. Putin is very popular now, but over time like all leaders, the younger generation which will replace the current NASHI generation, will find him and his party old and no longer relevant. American youth idolize pop stars. It seems Russian youth idolize Putin. In the end, idols end up in the waste heap and let their fans down. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:32:29 PM by wxman »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2007, 11:24:18 PM »

http://www.b3tards.com/u/1cdf6d7c024361f2b83f/russian-elections3.gif

Interesting cartoon Lily.  An Iraqi friend of mine said when he is voting, a few bums, with guns in their pocket, walk around the voting booths and look over your shoulder asking who you're voting for. It's no wonder Saddam got 100% of the vote. He said when the secret police is making their rounds in the neighborhood, people place posters of Saddam all over their homes. When they leave, the posters come down.

I don't think Putin needs to implement those types of tactics to get people to vote for him or his party. By minimizing exposure of political opponents and getting maximum and favorable exposure through State control media, and by putting in prison some not so publicly popular guys who once controlled oil, he will win enough votes without having to cheat or threaten voters.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Phil dAmore

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. . as you grow older, it will avoid you.-- Winston Churchill

Offline Phil dAmore

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2007, 05:59:17 AM »
Our next election will likely come down to two rather lackluster candidates. 

:offtopic:

Doesn't it always?  I mean seriously, the U.S. has the longest, most expensive and drawn out presidential election process in the world and time after time it seems that our choices are between lackluster and incompetent. 

Where are the the statesmen?  Where are the real leaders and not just the political opportunists or corporate tools?

Hillary?  Get real, will ya?

Obama? Not a chance and everyone knows why.

Rudy, Ron, Mike, etc?  Are you serious?.....

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but maybe we should consider bringing back Bill... :P

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541779
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1577
Most Online Ever: 12701