It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Wife Birth Certificate  (Read 8333 times)

Offline START2

Wife Birth Certificate
« on: August 09, 2005, 05:16:47 PM »
Hi all. My fiance arrived Saturday from Kiev. Everything went smooth and it's great to have her here. We've known each other for almost 2 years. I have a question.  Did she need to bring her original birth certifcate with her or just a copy with a translation. She left hers there, but I'm thinking she'll eventually need the original and her sons too. I'll be searching the archives here for other subjects like what documents we'll be having to file but if I have some questions I hope ya'll will bare with me. Thanks.

Offline Bruno

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 08:00:59 PM »
If she is coming with a K1 and wish stay with you, it is always interesting that she keep all her original document with her...

You never know when something will be needed and it is always more easy to have all by you...

Offline wxman

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:43:28 PM »
I know in some states original or notarized copies of birth certificates are required for marriage.  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 09:44:00 PM by wxman »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Bruce

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 03:44:09 AM »
We needed original documents in our part of New York State (New York City) for my wife to get her drivers license ie. at the time get into the system for a learners permit.   When we were married in New Jersey they also wanted to see original documents plus the "official" translations, not they would have been able to recognize real birth certificates.  

I think you should find out from your State if originals are needed. 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 04:13:44 AM »
might be a good idea to get apostil stamps on the docs. Even if they are accepted as-is for some agencies might need the apostil for others. Also makes everything look impressive and official.

Offline jb

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 05:24:44 AM »
In every case where documents were needed for my wife, originals were asked for.  Agencies can photocopy for their files, and many do, but originals were needed for all official transactions.  USBCIS, Social Security, driver's license, school board, etc., you name it, they all want to see the original.

Offline Bruno

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 05:43:00 AM »
I don't know if it is possible in USA but i explain how i have make when my first wife was coming in Belgium...

Since some document, specialy these with apostille have a limit of validity, i have make the following... on her coming in Belgium, i have take all her original document with apostille... i have make a traduction in one of our national language... i have certify the traduction by a law court... and i have register all the document at the city hall... after this, each time a document was needed, it was only need to go at the city hall and ask a copy of the document for a little amount of money... these copy was certify by the administration and valid for 6 month...

Offline START2

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. We called her mom today and she'll send them to us asap. There is much to do. The elem school wants a TIN for our son so we'll have to get that next plus I'll need it for tax puposes later. What was/is the easiest way to do that?

Offline jb

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 03:05:41 AM »
Start2,

The IRS only issues a ITIN to persons who are not qualified for a SSN.  To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the Philadelphia Service Center, or present it at IRS walk-in offices.  

I recomemnd using the IRS walk-in Service Center in your home town or nearest big city since they will want to see original documents.  I wouldn't trust an original birth certificate in the mail, much less some IRS clerk would remember to return it to you.

Count on 8-12 weeks for processing.

Edit: If you intend to adopt the child, you may speed things up by filing the W-7A.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 10:32:00 AM by jb »

Offline START2

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 06:08:41 AM »
Thanks jb. That was helpful. For some reason i was going to call the social security office today and ask them but now we'll just go to the local IRS office. Next we'll need to get her a ssn card but I think we'll wait till we are married soon. I've heard it's better than applying then, have to do name change after marriage. I know after marriage there are forms to send especially AOS but is there anything else before marriage? I sent you a pm jb.

Offline jb

Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 06:58:55 AM »
No, there are no forms to file before marriage, although you might want to read the thread above where Clyde asks for much of the same information regarding SSNs.

There is a ton of stuff to do after the wedding and it's best to get cracking on it ASAP.  Just follow the instructions you recieve from the USBICS after filing all those forms to get the fingerprinting and photos done for the EAD, AP, and AOS.  It's not difficult, just a little complicated.

You'll do fine and if you have any questions just send me another PM.

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 08:12:01 AM »
Welcome home Start2 and congratulations.

You have the advantage of having been married with children.

I'm not sure that will make it any easier though.

She is after all a Russian Woman which makes her a very unique person.

Offline Vanilla

• Commercial Member
Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 10:25:24 PM »
yes, she will need her original birth certificate (especially birth certificate!)

Offline Photo Guy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Wife Birth Certificate
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »
[user=297]START2[/user] wrote:
Hi all. My fiance arrived Saturday from Kiev. Everything went smooth and it's great to have her here.

Congratulations! Let us know how the adjustment period goes. -doug

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541646
Total Topics: 20870
Most Online Today: 1887