It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Motorist Advisory  (Read 17388 times)

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 07:51:59 AM »
We've done a bit of driving around the school parking lot and she's doing okay so far. I plan on getting her a small beater of some sort to actually learn in (and use after she gets her license).

She was hit by a car when she was a child and has an instictive fear of cars and driving. I figure that we'll get some professional driving lessons for her so that I can keep my sanity, whats left of it that is, and so that we don't stess each other out.

Life is just too d*$m interesting sometimes!

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 08:20:05 AM »
Ken,

You said;
I plan on getting her a small beater of some sort to actually learn in (and use after she gets her license).

I think you may be in for a surprise when shopping for the "beater".  RWs are very particular about appearances, just as they won't leave the house looking untidy,  I'll bet you have trouble getting her to drive a car that looks like a "beater", it's a question of outward appearance.  Remember, they are actually "wearing" that car as they drive about.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 09:18:00 AM by jb »

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »
Quote from: jb
I plan on getting her a small beater of some sort to actually learn in (and use after she gets her license).

I think you may be in for a surprise when shopping for the "beater". RWs are vary particular about appearances, just as they won't leave the house looking untidy, I'll bet you have trouble getting her to drive a car that looks like a "beater", it's a question of outward appearance. Remember, they are actually "wearing" that car as they drive about.

[/quote]

Sorry jb I didn't clarify what I meant by beater. I mean an older small car with some miles on it that is okay if she dings up a bit. I've already seen what I'm in for later on when she points out the cars she likes while we are out like the Miata or a Vette. We've talked about some of the Toyota models as well as things like the Outback/Forrester but lately she seems to like the Civic hatchback a lot.

I didn't expect to be able to get her a '71 Rambler and get away with it...;)

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline jb

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 09:07:14 AM »
I didn't expect to be able to get her a '71 Rambler and get away with it...;)

ROFLMAO~!

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 09:18:35 AM »
Anyone know where I can still get a beetle for a decent price?:D

Offline jb

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2005, 09:26:13 AM »
BC,

As you live in Italy, I'd think one of those little Fiats that you strap on like a motorized roller skate would be your best best.  When I was stationed in Naples we used to rent those things and we said: "There's room for your ass and a gallon of gas", and very little else.

Besides, Russia bought the tools and dies from Fiat and moved it all to Russia, lock, stock, and barrel.  I think they call the Russian version the Lada.  Your wife should be right at home in a Fiat. :D

Offline RacerX

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 09:30:15 AM »
jb
 Remember, they are actually "wearing" that car as they drive about.

My wife named her new RX-8 "Lana," and I've already gotten a couple of dirty looks when I leaned against her (the car, that is) in a careless fashion!

Offline Bruno

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 11:56:16 AM »
As you live in Italy, I'd think one of those little Fiats that you strap on like a motorized roller skate would be your best best. When I was stationed in Naples we used to rent those things and we said: "There's room for your ass and a gallon of gas", and very little else.

:D:D:D you speak certainly over the Fiat 500

Offline ConnerVT

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 12:34:03 PM »
I think you may be in for a surprise when shopping for the "beater". RWs are very particular about appearances, just as they won't leave the house looking untidy, I'll bet you have trouble getting her to drive a car that looks like a "beater", it's a question of outward appearance. Remember, they are actually "wearing" that car as they drive about.
You speak the truth, jb (as usual).  Fortunately for me, my wife thinks the Ford Focus ZX5 is the cute car for her.  Small enough for her to park, yet I can fit my tall frame inside, at a reasonable price at that.

Funny enough, my wife can parallel park better than many people I know (and she nailed it during her license exam).  But she still is nervous parking between between cars in a typical parking lot.  We had a good laugh the other day, when she parked in the far corner of a shopping center parking lot.  I said, "Thank you for not parking near anything.... like the stores..."

Offline PeeWee

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 07:48:46 PM »
That is one great car, Bruno.  Is that a small car or are you big people?

peewee

Offline BC

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2005, 08:45:10 PM »
BC,

As you live in Italy, I'd think one of those little Fiats that you strap on like a motorized roller skate would be your best best.  When I was stationed in Naples we used to rent those things and we said: "There's room for your ass and a gallon of gas", and very little else.

Besides, Russia bought the tools and dies from Fiat and moved it all to Russia, lock, stock, and barrel.  I think they call the Russian version the Lada.  Your wife should be right at home in a Fiat. :D

jb,

The classic 'cinquecento' are pretty hard to find in good condition like beetles, but do fit a family of four.. believe it or not.

In lieu of am considering a brand spanking new pickup so I can put warning lights on the roll bar. Has familiar handlebars instead of complicated steering wheel and plenty of room for 'shopping' :) Fits two in the cab.. kids and dogs just love riding in the back of these things.

Downside is that if a shotgun rack is installed you have to roll down both windows for the shotgun or rifle to fit.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 08:51:00 PM by BC »

Offline Bruno

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 12:13:46 AM »
Quote from: PeeWee
The classic 'cinquecento' are pretty hard to find in good condition like beetles

http://www.fiat500club.nl/vraagenaanbod/

Offline ConnerVT

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2005, 10:47:49 AM »
I'm going to hijack my thread back for a little while.

My wife finally goy a new car to go with here driver's license.  The car we were going to buy her was sold out from under us, while the owner of the shop was gone for several days.  But he gave us a break on the price on this one, as we (read : I) weren't total A-holes about it.

My wife wanted a small (read : compact) car, as she gets real nervous negotiating our large mid-size Dodge in parking lots.  A great idea, until you realize that she's 6', and I'm 6'4".  Most compact cars fit me like a bad pair of shoes -- very tight, uncomfortable, and can't wait to get out of them.

Surprisingly, there is enough room in this Focus that I'm not immediately looking for the exit.  It drives rather un-remarkably, but as I expected it would.  For the price, it's more car than I thought it would buy, and I'm not worried about her driving off alone in it (well, not worried about the car, at least...)

One interesting comment my wife made.  "It's like the Russian Lada.  Small, and smells of plastic."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 10:49:00 AM by ConnerVT »

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »
Nice ride Conner ;) I wish you guys many happy miles!

My solution to the riddle was to buy a used, but still good running, small car, one which I didn't care if she dinged all four corners in the learning process, and one which wouldn't go so fast that I had to fear for her safety.

This is what we (I) did. I was going to make the little benz Liliya's car but unfortunately it commited suicide last summer on I-595 by using it's #3 connecting rod to beat big holes in the side of the block :X I finally gave up on it. I picked up a beater while Lil was abroad this summer, replaced the head gasket and had them throw a "fireball red" paint job on it. Lil was quite happy with the end result and now calls the '95 neon sport "MY car" (which basicly means I can drive it occasionally, like to the car wash, but I better not touch the stereo, mirrors, or seat adjustment  though!)

Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline ConnerVT

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2005, 02:08:58 PM »
Thanks, Jet.  It wasn't her first choice of color (silver, then dark red), and the hatchback was preferred over the sedan, but in all an acceptable car.  Where black is a killer color in your latitude, in the frozen North it just helps the ice melt faster.  :D

jb's suggestion is a good one.  People sometimes make bad decisions worrying more about the car than the people.  Now we can just be concerned with everyone traveling safely as she gets those "many happy miles" logged with her at the controls!

Quote from: Jet
"MY car" (which basicly means I can drive it occasionally, like to the car wash, but I better not touch the stereo, mirrors, or seat adjustment  though!)
Sounds just like what we were joking about today, that I would be "allowed" to drive it -- to the gas station (as we haven't gotten to the lesson on how to fill the car with gasoline. :P ).

Another interesting aspect of this car is that we took an auto loan out on it, with the main purpose to build her some credit history.  She was a little taken aback how easily we were handed a check for an amount equal to a few years salary of her former middle-management job.

Offline jb

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 01:47:22 AM »
You guys would be surprised at how familiar all this sounds.

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2005, 01:54:42 AM »
I have been wondering if the behavior of Americans like tailgating and giving rude drivers the middle finger will be learned by the new drivers. It seems to be a trait of Americans to have no consideration for others on the road and to become "road hogs." I have always felt as if the space I inhabit on the road (if I am within the speed limit) is "my space" and anyone who passes me on the right or tailgates is being rude. I also think the minimum driving age should be raised to 21, even though some teenagers are very good drivers.

One thing I have been seeing more of is drivers who somehow manage to be in the same lane as me when I am on an expressway, in the right lane and they are entering the expressway. I try to avoid the right lane but sometimes it cannot be helped. I learned that yielding to traffic means to stop if you must and merge when you can. 

Offline aikorob

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 02:14:19 AM »
Reading all of this, about RW's (heck women period) penchant for a flashy/shiny/new machina has me wondering about N. We've had a few conversations about her needing to drive over here, and we usually end up talking about her "dream"car. On my first visit, I almost fell out of my chair when she told me:  I want a big, black, Ford pickup! She had seen them in movies and fell in love. I thought--no way, this is too good, it can't last. Sure enough, last night she said she had changed her mind; now it is a black, 4 door, Ford LTD--with the police loudspeaker still in place!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 03:01:22 AM »
We've been slowly learning how to drive in my pickup and Elena has shown a great interest in a small car like the Civic. I'm happy about that as she hasn't shown a great abilty to be able to understand where the truck is in relation to the lane, curbs, etc. A small car would be good so she can see where it and she are.

Ken
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Bruno

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 03:05:13 AM »
[user=130]Son of Clyde[/user] wrote:
It seems to be a trait of Americans to have no consideration for others on the road and to become "road hogs."

Clyde, have you already see the behavour of Russian on the road... before use a russian driver, always check if your life insurance is pay...

They don't respect the light, don't stop for people walking, zig-zag a lot ( not always because the hole in the street )... and always use the claxon ( like italian )...

Offline ConnerVT

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2005, 03:43:06 AM »
You guys would be surprised at how familiar all this sounds.
No, I wouldn't.  :D

Many of the other comments below your's are pretty common, too.

On flashy things -- It's universally known that men will speak about the options, engine's horsepower rating, ABS and traction control systems, and the audiophile sound system their new car has.  A woman, when asked about her new car?  "It's red!"  :D

Bad habits -- I've spent some time driving with a number of different drivers in Russia.  Cursing and flipping the bird happens on both sides of the oceans, with only the slightest variations.  Perhaps I didn't find the difference that drastic, as I learned to drive just outside NYC.  What I do find interesting is that even though drivers in Russia have more to lose than American drivers, they will tend to take more chances.  It may be they expect the other driver to share the same skill set they possess.  In the US, many drivers could care less, driving with their cell phone pressed to their ear, a double latte in their other hand while flipping through their CD wallet looking for a new disc.  Hell, insurance will pay for the damage.

Fortunately, my wife is a cautious driver.  She has spent a large amount of front seat passenger time related to her work in Russia, and has seen the good and not so good drivers in action.  She sometimes does not have the attention to see all the things happening around her, and misjudges where the corners of the car are.  But no more than an American teenage first time driver.

Offline PeeWee

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2005, 03:49:13 AM »
[user=130]Son of Clyde[/user] wrote:
I have been wondering if the behavior of Americans like tailgating and giving rude drivers the middle finger will be learned by the new drivers. It seems to be a trait of Americans to have no consideration for others on the road and to become "road hogs." I have always felt as if the space I inhabit on the road (if I am within the speed limit) is "my space" and anyone who passes me on the right or tailgates is being rude. I also think the minimum driving age should be raised to 21, even though some teenagers are very good drivers.

One thing I have been seeing more of is drivers who somehow manage to be in the same lane as me when I am on an expressway, in the right lane and they are entering the expressway. I try to avoid the right lane but sometimes it cannot be helped. I learned that yielding to traffic means to stop if you must and merge when you can. 
Clyde, have you ever visited Moscow? There seem to be now laws at all. If the traffic is jamed then the sidewalks and train  tracks adjacent to the streets are utilized. I have not seen more collisions at intersections there than anywhere else in the world.

Offline Vaughn

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2005, 05:57:56 PM »
Ken wrote:
We've been slowly learning how to drive in my pickup and Elena has shown a great interest in a small car like the Civic.

Ken, you saw her little Tracker when we met up your way. Now Ellie's stepped up to that Explorer we picked up in Virginia - it looks like a Monster when all 5'2" of her stands aside it, and she's more secure with its size.

A '71 Rambler? Has anyone even seen one lately?

Vaughn

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
Motorist Advisory
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2005, 08:57:12 PM »
Anyone traveling in Alaska had better beware of my wife on the road also! She aced her driving test and got her license today! :D

I want to get her behind the wheel of my Peterbilt! But she is thinking of something 4wd and smaller....

Offline ConnerVT

Motorist Advisory
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2005, 02:18:42 AM »
Quote from: Vaughn
A '71 Rambler? Has anyone even seen one lately?

Of course not.  They stopped making them in 1969.  :P

This '67 is in good shape, but a bit boxy for my taste:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541567
Total Topics: 20870