It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My dyevushka loves Marilyn  (Read 11748 times)

Offline Journeyman

My dyevushka loves Marilyn
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:25:49 PM »
Hello All,

My Ukrainian girlfriend is absolutely enamored with Marilyn Monroe.  She's asked me if I can bring a DVD movie of MM with me on my upcoming visit.  I was thinking of trying to find "Some Like it Hot."  I can play Zone 1 DVDs on my laptop.

My girlfriend's English is only so-so.  Also, she says she hates Russian subtitles.  So, I'm tryin to find such movies on DVD that are dubbed in Russian, and that, preferably, have English subtitles.  

Any recommendations as to where I might find such DVDs?  Perhaps there are some Internet resouces?  I'll be in Kiev soon.  Any good stores in Kiev for such DVDs?  I can play FSU-zoned DVD's on her DVD player.

Thanks
Journeyman

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 06:37:41 PM »
let buy your "devushka" films on English with English subtitles (better special DVD for deafs because they have more accurate sibtitles) and let she study English, sitting next to you and watching films on original language:D

( I saw some DVDs here (in Moscow) with double sound tracks (English and Russian ) where you can choose one of language and lannuage of subtitles but they are rare. Mostly films are on English with english subtitles or only on Russian)

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
You can buy some films here, puting an address of your girl in order (they don't sell DVD's abroad)

http://www.english4u.dp.ua/modules.php?name=Shop

look for that sign , that's what you want

Субтитры: английские, русские, без субтитров
Звуковые дорожки: английская, русская

« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 09:07:00 PM by Elen »

Offline Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:43:23 PM »
Elen,

Thank you for an excellent idea!

My devushka doesn't much like courses or books or cassettes to study English, so such DVD's could be a very good solution, indeed. :)

Большое спасибо!

Journeyman

Offline deden

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 09:54:31 PM »
Didn't Marilyn also have a movie called "How to Marry a Millionaire"?  Might want to leave that one at home. :shock:

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 11:20:08 AM »
Quote from: Journeyman
My devushka doesn't much like courses or books or cassettes to study English, so such DVD's could be a very good solution, indeed. :)
oops...... A new method of learning English - just watch DVD movie. I will try tomorrow. :D
I am not looking for absolution. Forgiveness for the things I do. But before you come to any conclusions - try walking in my shoes.

Offline Bruno

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 11:25:05 AM »
Yep, ... it is working... it is so i have learn Dutch language... the film was in original language ( english ) with subtitle in Dutch... Very good for start ... and after, i have work one month in a Dutch cafe ( sorry, black work )... result, in three month, i was able speak easily in Dutch... i'am to stupid or lazy for lean in book... i need living experience...

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 08:11:23 AM »
Quote from: Bruno
Yep, ... it is working... it is so i have learn Dutch language... the film was in original language ( english ) with subtitle in Dutch... Very good for start ... and after, i have work one month in a Dutch cafe ( sorry, black work )... result, in three month, i was able speak easily in Dutch... i'am to stupid or lazy for lean in book... i need living experience...
How long have you been learning English, Bruno?
I am not looking for absolution. Forgiveness for the things I do. But before you come to any conclusions - try walking in my shoes.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 08:19:21 AM »
Ah Arrow:D May be it woud be for better she can't speak English as long as possible. Nobody knows what she will say when she'd learn at least:D:D (типа - молчи, сойдёшь за умную)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 08:21:00 AM by Elen »

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 08:27:28 AM »
Quote from: Elen
Ah Arrow:D May be it woud be for better she can't speak English as long as possible. Nobody knows what she will say when she'd learn at least:D:D (типа - молчи, сойдёшь за умную)
Well said. The Perfect man for a woman - is a blind, deaf-and-dumb captain. Do you remember this joke, Elen? :D

Offline anono

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 08:28:38 AM »
it seems a lot of these women are curious about marilyn. my past GF was also interested in any books about her.

i dunno what gives

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 08:41:05 AM »
The Perfect man for a woman - is a blind, deaf-and-dumb captain

:D I do remeber (if "captain" means an owner of wine-cellar)

Offline Bruno

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 09:05:42 AM »
Quote from: TheArrow
How long have you been learning English, Bruno?

I am always busy :D:D:D... i have never open a language book... i have learn with contact with people... i was nine year in Navy... and the international language in the world is english... my several girlfriend from my young time have help me to speak english :shock:;)...

I was ready to learn russian with my ex-wife but she have not wish help me... but her daughter, yes... she have learn me some words... i can speak a little but i cannot write and just a little read... i have the level of a child from 2.5 year old :?:?:?... Galina is ready to learn me the russian language... in some year, i will be able to speak russian...

And i was not the captain on my ship :P:D:P

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 09:15:57 AM »
Actually I always wonder how do you guys estimate an intelligence's level of your brides if they don't speak English ( or speak at the level of 2 year olds)?:?

Or it's not a matter at all?

Offline Bruno

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 09:22:41 AM »
Actually I always wonder how do you guys estimate an intelligence's level of your brides if they don't speak English ( or speak at the level of 2 year olds)?:?

Or it's not a matter at all?

If she have finish russian college, finish university, follow some course when she was already adult, ... i think that she is enough education... now, intelligence is something very different that education... you can have people who cannot write and read because they have no go to school but they are very intelligent...

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 09:41:42 AM »
intelligence is something very different that education

exactly
you can have people who cannot write and read because they have no go to school but they are very intelligent... (actually I didn't meet such people but never mind now it's not an issue)

but if they can not even SPEAK then how do you know they would not appear a full fools when they'll do start to speak finally:D (no offence for anybody just a curiosity:D)

Though it works in both way and it may happen when they understand what do YOU speak:D the result may be unpredictable :P:P

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 09:42:14 AM »
If she have finish russian college, finish university, follow some course when she was already adult, ... i think that she is enough education... now, intelligence is something very different that education... you can have people who cannot write and read because they have no go to school but they are very intelligent...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"intelligence means mind , intellect, information , news. So intelligence level means - the level of education and etc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"Only Russians say "he/she is intelligent" meaning she/he is well-mannered, tactful and etc. forgeting about the true meaning of this word. :D

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 09:45:21 AM »
Quote from: anono
it seems a lot of these women are curious about marilyn. my past GF was also interested in any books about her.

i dunno what gives
Marilyn Monroe - the unhappy woman. She was looking for a true love all her life and the same time she did not know how to love. She is one of many Hollywood hostages. :(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 09:49:00 AM by TheArrow »

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »

If she have finish russian college, finish university, follow some course when she was already adult, ... 

A BIG THANKS to my parents. They took care of my education. I finished English-Russian school, I am still studying now and will get the Diploma soon (I have already had 1 Diploma but I wanna improve my professional skills), and, of course, I am still learning English talking to my friends. :)

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 09:59:32 AM »
A BIG THANKS to my parents They took care of my education

Did you have a full 'soviet complete set" - english-school+music school+some sport section'? (I did have:D)

Offline TheArrow

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2005, 10:09:23 AM »
A BIG THANKS to my parents They took care of my education
Did you have a full 'soviet complete set" - english-school+music school+some sport section'? (I did have:D)
[/quote]nope. English-school, the singing + home education: cooking, sewing, knitting, doing cross-stich embrodery...... :D

Offline deden

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 12:21:48 PM »
Arrow, you need to be careful with advertising such domestic skills.  Someone on this board might be looking for such skills in a wife. :cool: 

Offline Bruno

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2005, 10:15:38 PM »
Yep, russian woman have a good education due to parents... but what surprise me a lot is that several of these woman choose herself to follow new course for improve herself... if i good understand, arrow is always busy with school at 36yo... and my Galina have just finish a university course about business managment...

Several woman work and study in the same time... they never stop her education... so mentality is not common in our country... i speak about study for the pleasure...

Offline deden

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2005, 11:28:36 PM »
"Yep, russian woman have a good education due to parents..."  Really, you don't think the "old" Russian society (particulary in the sense of financial funding) in general played a significant role in why so many RW have advanced Russian degrees?  Are you referring to the large cities or the hooter where farming might be the typical educational model?

"but what surprise me a lot is that several of these woman choose herself to follow new course for improve herself... "  Guess that totally discredits the first statement as to the value of that education that her parents or society forced her into.  When a Phd has to work as an interpreter or wait on tables, what good is such education?  And why wouldn't one seek to learn something more useful?  Even as a gardner, don't you still strive to learn something?

"so mentality is not common in our country... i speak about study for the pleasure..." 
Damn, Belguim must be one backwards country if the general population fails to continue to learn (whether its formal or informal education) after graduating from high school or college.  Besides, what the hell has the Russian formal education system done for Russia?  Let's face it, maybe some street smarts might better be useful to them these days.  They're not exactly a world power anymore (well except when compared to Belgium).  Bruno, quit sucking up to the RWs on this board!  Realize that Russia is a second world nation.  Their formal education isn't worth what it is in Russia compared to most first world nations.

I mean I'm all for the fact that most of these ladies are well educated in something even though it may not count for much here in the US.  But being book smart in a country where your degree may have little value both in your country or in a first world nation doesn't exactly impress me.  I mean one can be book smart as hell and still lack the common smarts it takes to succeed in life.  Look at the FSU, its a prime example where you have Phds working as taxi drivers.  If Arrow or any other RW seeks to go continue persuing formal education, great, but believe it or not, many successful people have little to no formal education.  While this may not be common in Belguim, it is in most other countries.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2005, 11:34:27 PM »
I'd offer you to check the nationalities in yours Cilicone valley You would be impressed with results of soviet educational system

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541779
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1583
Most Online Ever: 12701