It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Teaching moment, learn from another's missteps Part 1  (Read 59394 times)

Offline Taz

• Carpe diem...before it seizes you!
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Cue Willie once more…On the road again
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2008, 07:16:06 PM »
We get the bags loaded up and the car is feeling the pain once again. It is maxed out but there is enough room for everyone. Lana is riding shotgun and SK and Zhana in the back. There is plenty of beef jerky so Zhana should be right at home. I am still amazed to this day at her capacity to devour beef jerky.

We hit the road but I gas up as soon as I see a low price. All seems to go well until this dog comes bounding toward me. He is still small but given my FSU animal curse I am still wary. He comes up wagging his tail. I think it is likely a ploy to lure me in and then he will attack. I bend down and he seems really happy to see me. I am must be his long lost buddy or something. I have some food in the car and I feed him until he is so sated he can’t eat another bite. He just sits by me for a while and enjoy each other’s company while I fill up the car. He is a cute little dog. Finally he goes back to the office area of the station taking the last piece of food I gave him but that he couldn’t eat. Maybe at last my animal curse has been lifted. Normally animals love me so past experiences have been a shock to me. It is definitely a good omen to start our trip.

We all pile back in the car and hit the road again. The drive is uneventful most of the time. There are the usual speed traps and traffic delays. I purposely plan a route into Crimea that will make sure I avoid the major road construction as I don’t think our little Focus would make it through the field we would have to drive through without major damage. It is fully loaded and has little ground clearance.

We call the owner of the apartments in Spol to let them know we are on the way. ETA is still up in the air but it shouldn’t be too late. Time goes pretty quickly on the trip with some good conversation. I try and keep up translating for everyone and it is a bit of work but I am doing pretty well considering I must still focus on the road.

We are well into Crimea and everyone is getting hungry. Zhana has relatives here and we are approaching Simf. I suggest she call and ask for restaurant recommendations. If she doesn’t come up with anything I know of a great one if it is still around on the other side of Simf. Zhana finally speaks with her family and they give her a couple of ideas. Unfortunately we can’t seem to find them or they are too far off our route to be practical. I proceed on to the one I had in mind. The way things can change from one moment to the next in the FSU I am hoping it still is around. So we keep on keeping on. The rumbly in my belly is getting louder like a steadily increasing drum beat. I feel like Phat Bastard in Austin Powers "Get in ma belly!" Only problem is Zhana has taken my beef jerky bag and I don't know where it is at. Later on I fined she stashed it in her purse to eat later when she has some beer to go with it.
Take time to learn the language. Even a little can go a long ways...

Get off your butt and go! Don't make excuses why you can't do it, find a way to make it work! Always go with a backup plan too!!!

Offline Taz

Is Zhana a klepto???
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2008, 07:06:32 AM »
We pass through downtown Simf on our way to Spol. Traffic is a bitch but there are no good ways around the town. They are all pretty bad. Simf is a nightmare when it rains. They have no concept of drainage. With any a little rain, Simf becomes a series of swimming pools connected by little patches of asphalt. You need to really watch where you walk and drive. Walking is a PITA because I swear people deliberately try to splash you. The road pools the water and it is deep enough to drown out most cars in many spots. Try doing it at night while it is raining and you have you better have good headlights and pick your way carefully unless driving a pretty tall SUV.

Finally we are through Simf and at the restaurant. Wow! It has really expanded since the last time I ate here. All I can hope for is the food is as great as it was before. We are lead into the building and now they have a huge banquet hall that could likely seat 500 guests or so. We are ushered to our own private room with TV. The woman and SK are suitably impressed with my choice so far. The menu is mostly Georgian and Tartar cuisine but is the best I’ve ever had of these genres.

We order our food and it is as delicious, if not possibly better, than the last time I ate there. Everyone is VERY impressed. Truly this is one of the best places I've eaten at in the FSU without a doubt. It has great service and a wide variety of food. Soup, salad, entree, etc., it is all wonderful. I could write for an hour on this alone but I'll just leave it you definitely want to eat there if you are in the area.

While we are relaxing after putting on the feed bag, SK sees a cool little shot glass and wants one as a souvenir. Zhana has her eyes on it I can tell. She is tempted to just take it. Maybe there is a bit of a kleptomaniac in her but that remains to be seen. :hairraising:

Well she did abscond with my beef jerky but I attributed that to hunger and my obviously excellent taste in beef jerky! I tell the waitress we want to buy one of the glasses. She brings back one filled with vodka. The brand is Xorchitsa and it is VERY smooth. Unfortunately I didn’t want vodka but just the glass. SK tries the vodka and is impressed by how smooth it is. I am not a big vodka drinker but it is very good. She tells us we can keep the glass anyway. We settle up the tab and it about $50 for all of us. Considering what we ate it is a remarkable deal. It is one of the best meals I’ve had anywhere in my life!

We go back to the car and push on to Spol. Another hour or so and we should be there or so I thought. The drive turns out to be closer to 2 hours because of a detour we had to take but fortunately the lady is waiting at our first apartment. We arrive later than originally planned but not too late and she isn’t too terribly upset. The girls are tired and I am a bit too. At least I know where to go for the first apartment I don’t know where the other one is at. We all stop here and I leave with the lady to find where the other apartment is located. The other one is likely my first choice to stay at from what she has described. It is a bit more expensive but the owner says it has secured parking which is a major plus with a car.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:34:52 AM by Taz »

Get off your butt and go! Don't make excuses why you can't do it, find a way to make it work! Always go with a backup plan too!!!

Offline Taz

Trouble in river city…
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2008, 08:39:36 AM »
Lana doesn’t want to go even look at the other apartment. She just wants to stay were we are at now which I’ll call Apt A. She refuses to go with me to even take a look at Apt B so I go with the apartment owner. I originally thought Apt B would be the best choice because even though it is closer to the center of town by a little bit, it is up on a hill and not as convenient to public transport. Since we’ll have the car, I thought it would be better for us than to make SK and Zhana climb up the big hill all the time. I stayed in this area before at the very top of the hill. I counted 236 steps to go up and down each time I wanted to go get groceries or to go to a restaurant let alone catch a bus. No inconvenience with a car to get around other than all the damn one-way streets.

Apt B is quite nice. It has a locked yard for the car. A very nice patio and is located in a nice location. I’ve got a great deal on it for us. It is like a little villa. Lana has no desire to even look at it. I return after dropping off the owner at her house and take Zhana and SK there. I think they really like it. The covered patio is very nice to set at in the morning. A nice layout and it has AC too.

I go back to Apt A. I am not exactly thrilled with Lana’s refusal to even look at the other place. I am concerned about giving up the secured parking for the car. She doesn’t seem to care and this doesn’t sit very well with me. I have quite a bit of money at risk if something happens to the car. She just wants to get settled in for the night and doesn’t give a damn about the car or my potential financial risk. It pretty much spoils our evening and sets off a warning flag for me. Either place is about equally comfortable for me but the secured parking is a major plus. Without the car I like Apt A better as it is closer to stores even if it is a bit further to the main business area of town. It is still in the “center” of town and on the major road in Spol.

Her inflexibility is bugging me quite a bit. I understand we are tired but I have to weigh the risks of where to park the car. Ultimately we end up in a quasi-argument and finally decide to go to sleep. It is so obvious that we won’t be sleeping together tonight that even a blind man or MD would see it. Not exactly the way I wanted to spend my first night in Spol and without mama. Things aren’t exactly going as I planned. I gave Lana the blanket off the bed as she wants to sleep on the couch. It is a cold night and I am left with just a sheet. The heat has already been turned off for the spring/summer. It is going to be a cold night in more ways than one.

Offline ScottinCrimea

Re: Teaching moment, learn from another's missteps Part 1
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
Taz,  I know that restuarant in Simferopol well.  It's one of those places with great food and reasonable prices that I mentioned in another thread.  I was taken there the first time by a Tatar doctor who wanted to treat me to real Tatar cuisine.  I saw how they cooked their bread, which is excellent.  It's a kind of flat bread that they stick against the inside walls of brick wood-fueled ovens to bake.  In the evenings they have live music and dancing - Not disco, but more classical. It's a nice place for a romantic date, especially since it is on the outskirts of town and surrounded by trees.

You ran into an inflexible RW?  That's a first!   :ROFL:

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »
If that restaurant is such a jewel, why don't y'all put a reference to it here
(http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/mwiki/index.php?title=Restaurants), rather than slobbering in selfish reminiscence :( ::) ;)?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
Sandro, I can't recall the exact name of the place at the moment.  When my wife gets home I'll ask her and post it.

Offline Swisskid

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #281 on: June 21, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »
As I recall I believe it was called "Ali Baba's" and it is right on the main highway outside of Simferopol...

Offline Taz

« Reply #282 on: June 21, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »
It is Ali Baba.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
It is Ali Baba.
As I recall I believe it was called "Ali Baba's" and it is right on the main highway outside of Simferopol...
Sandro, I can't recall the exact name of the place at the moment. When my wife gets home I'll ask her and post it.

Good, we now have a name, at least. Now if someone could provide an addess & telephone no., too (any bill/check/matchbook kept as souvenir of the memorable experience there, in addition to the vodka glass ;)?), since it doesn't appear to have a website, we'd be set for a lasting entry in the RWDpedia 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:45:09 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Wienerin

« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »
For the flat bread (lavash or churek - depending on the ethnicity) baked inside this special clay oven "tandyr" welcome to Chicago - Georgian bakery on Devon near California (where else! ;)) - they have a wide variety of mince pies too and beautiful also Georgian puff pastry with sheep or goat cheese - khachapuri. I go there 1-2 times|week and also buy home-made pelmeni and vareniki (with farmers cheese, cherries, plums), also Georgian "pelmeni" - khinkali.

Offline Taz

I could use a thaw in the “cold war”
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
While laying there shivering I vaguely remember something; I need to wash clothes so I’ll have something to wear tomorrow. Being without my main luggage is getting to be a real PITA as if it already wasn’t! I get up to wash my clothes and then I’ll have to hang them to dry. I notice Lana is still awake as I go back to my room.

I debate for a few minutes about disturbing her. Maybe its been long enough that we can try and resolve this. At last I decide to go over to try and patch things up but she isn’t interested. She is one of those types of women who can stay upset for a long time it seems. I think she is the type that might ultimately forgive but she’ll never forget.

I can forgive and forget pretty quickly on minor stuff and even moderately major things. I decide to be persistent at trying to salvage our evening. She basically tells me to get lost but I am not giving up that easily. Sometimes they just test you to see if you are serious. I am definitely serious! Finally she starts to melt a little. I keep it up and finally we are feeling closer to each other. At least the night isn’t going to be a total waste. In the end I must say it turned out pretty well.

We get up the next morning and give Zhana and SK a call. Apparently Zhana left while SK was sleeping and took good care of him. I’ll let him detail that part of it. I make some breakfast for Lana from stuff I bought at the local store while she was sleeping. She is very impressed with my culinary talents and enjoys definitely enjoys what I’ve prepared. Things are definitely going better than they were about 12 hours ago. I am feeling fairly refreshed even though we didn’t get much sleep last night.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2008, 07:13:18 AM »
Taz,

I've made comments in the other guys threads already, but I am really enjoying your posts as well. This multiple perspective trip reporting is very interesting for us bystanders   8). Regarding the chilly start to last evening, an old married guy once told me that when dealing with RW (and especially pissed off RW  ;D) "vigilance is the price of success!" Seems you've just reinforced that point once again. Glad to see you stuck with it and it paid off  ;)
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Taz

There I was, minding my own business and who should call…no it wasn't SK!
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:40 PM »
It WAS a great morning until JD called. He has a talent for spoiling my day lately. Ok, well maybe not just lately. Things were pretty cozy between Lana and I when he called. He does have a valid reason for giving me a call though. He is in Simf but has made plans on short notice to come to Spol today. He is going to visit a friend here. Things have been going pretty well with the woman he met about 2 years ago. The one I’ve named Nasty Girl. She’s apparently tied up for the day and has to work. He decides to come over and see a mutual friend and maybe visit me for a while. I can hardly wait…NOT!

Nasty Girl’s sister, K, is very hot looking. Probably one of the best bodies I’ve ever seen and a face almost as appealing. JD would practically drool over her. While I wasn’t as gaga as JD was, I definitely appreciated her beauty and easy-going personality. She spoke very good English too and often translated for JD and Nasty Girl when I wasn't around. JD so often would bemoan the fact that he wished Nasty was more like her sister K. Lil’ sis was definitely the smoking hotkova in the family.  Since we last saw her, K had gotten married to her long time boyfriend Dima.

According to JD, big sis (Nasty Girl) had actually packed on a few pounds from her too skinny previous state and actually had some curves in the right places. He definitely appreciated the improvements. While I don't care that much about a woman's weight (unless she is HUGE or BBW), Nasty was definitely TOO thin! She really needed to add a few pounds. I swear if she ate a grain of rice you could see it go down her throat! She was thin to the point of anorexic.

Dima has a heart of gold and is a really good guy. We’d all (JD, Nasty Girl, K, Dima and me with my date) would go all over the place. He was truly a good catch for K and vice versa. Even though he didn’t speak very good English, he and JD got along really great and became pretty good buddies. I enjoyed his company but after JD and Dima would pound down a bottle of vodka things would get a little too crazy for me. I was think it wouldn’t be bad to meet up with Dima and K. They are a nice couple and I thought Lana might enjoy their company. OTOH I know she’d want to keep as far away from JD as possible. In the end I didn’t think the risk was worth the reward. So I thought it would be best to keep JD as far away from Lana as I could and if I did meet him make it very brief.

Offline Taz

Of all the people for it to happen to…
« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »
Haven't been able to work too much on getting things posted. I've been spending most of my time planning my next trip in a few weeks.  :D

JD calls me a bit later with some bad news. Apparently they were all out together playing on JD’s scooter and there was an accident. It didn’t even look bad according to those who witnessed it. The result was horrific with someone in the hospital now. Apparently Dima was hauling @$$ on the scooter. Turned around on the street came back. Stepped of the scooter and fell to the ground. Nasty Girl, Dime’s new wife K and JD were at first laughing about it. They thought he was playing around but it turns out he must have put his foot down in just the wrong way and cause a huge amount of damage. JD said he had been going as fast as he could for most of the time and when K asked him to be careful is when it happened. Doesn’t that always seem to be the case with things? Sometimes where you are definitely pushing things you have no issue but when you finally slow it down a bit then all goes to hell. For example when I am running over 100mph I never have issues with cops because I am hyper-alert. When I slow down to 70 or so then I get popped for doing 69 in a 65 or something equally as ridiculous.

Dima is apparently in a tremendous amount of pain moaning and clutching his leg. They rush over to him to see what they can do to help. It looks really bad! K immediately calls for an ambulance. His ankle is in terrible shape from the looks of it. After an incredibly long time the ambulance arrives and takes him to the hospital. I don’t envy Dima at all. I’ve seen more than my fair share of Russian hospitals and I don’t ever want to go back. As of this point in our trip they still didn’t know what all is wrong with him but he is at the hospital.

At this moment I feel so bad for this guy. If most Russian men were like this guy, RW would rarely look for anyone else. He is truly a great guy. A prince among men so to speak. A wonderful sense of humor, big heart and takes care of K quite well. Problem is there aren’t enough of these types of guys to go around. Lucky us!

I am truly concerned about Dima’s well being. I’ve known him long enough to really respect him. I tell JD to wish him a speed recovery when he sees him again and to tell K that I am sorry about it. What a bummer of a way to start my day. It has the effect of rain clouds rolling in on my sunny day. I try not to let it bother me too much but of all the people for something to happen to, why Dima?

Offline BetweenLines

« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2008, 12:37:09 PM »
I totally altered all my personal plans to give him the best chance of success. I threw away an apartment in a town that I prepaid for 10 days just to stay in one town to help him out. I rented a car just to make it more convenient to go from town to town in order to help him out. In spite of everything I did for him, I am then ultimately blamed by him for many of his failures as if I caused personally caused them.

What is the agency that allows you to book tickets to the crimea ahead of time?
What is the name of the excellent agency in Mari?

I am in denial at this point. I make 2 really good connections (possible a third in the making) and JD somehow blows it all up for me.

And this is surprising to you? Anyone would begin to suspect you enjoy this...

I am sure you realize that you are not helping him by baby sitting his visits. He would learn a lot faster if he just fell on his face more often...
many FSU countries have strict laws regarding the internal importation and usage of GPS by foreign citizens.

Are you serious?
I take my GPS everywhere for navigating... I hope they do not ask me to ditch it at the border?

Offline Misha

« Reply #290 on: June 30, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »
Are you serious?
I take my GPS everywhere for navigating... I hope they do not ask me to ditch it at the border?

Well, that would be the least of your worries if ever you came across a border guard who wanted to make an example of you. There was the case that I read about in the Moscow Times a couple months ago of the women who was arrested because she had bought a few medals at a local market and did not know that it was illegal to leave the country with them as they were the property of Russia.

Offline Taz

« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »
The laws regarding a GPS were very clear and there is a young man still sitting in a soviet jail because he was in the wrong place with a GPS. I think though in 2007 they relaxed the laws somewhat in Ukraine I believe. I haven't had a chance to check it again since I first read about it. I was very cautious about carrying mine which I've done for quite a few years but I always kept it well hidden.

As for JD I don't do much to help him anymore. He is pretty much on his own. He has learned quite a bit of Russian the last few months and he can do most things on his own. Where he truly needs the most help is with his attitude and personality. My next trip will have nothing to do with him at all.

As for tickets I'll have to look up my contact info as I don't remember it off the top of my head. When I find it I'll PM in the info.

Offline BetweenLines

« Reply #292 on: July 02, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »
Taz thanks,

I carry my GPS in my computer case. I sometimes use it in a city if the buildings are not too high, but do i need to worry about being hassled by cops if I am using it walking donw a street for example (as I have done in every other country I have ever been too?)

In your travels, have you been to Nikolaev and Kharkov? I will be in Kiev for a few days and then should pick one to work in. I would love to go to Odessa but I am told the wateers are well fished and all that remains are the ones that continue to get away (professional daters)

Thoughts?

Offline Taz

« Reply #293 on: July 02, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
BetweenLines- I defnitely think Odessa is fished out so to speak was well as Sevastopol (in Crime). That doesn't mean you couldn't find something there if you looked but I think the odds are lower.

Kharkov is such a big city there are bound to be a lot of women there that are open to meeting a foreigner. Nikolaev seemed pretty decent too though I didn't spend much time there. Personally I would look to the far eastern part of Ukraine such as Mariupol, Zaporozhe, Lugansk, Kharkov, Donetsk, etc. Kherson seemed ok too. Of course nothing is static so in 6 months my advice could be totally wrong. People need to keep that in mind when reading anything on these forums as that we all just give a snapshot of what things were like at that particular time and place.

For example years ago, Sevastopol was a great place to meet women. Definitely not as much. What planned method did you want to use to meet, agencies? A city like Kharkov and some of the other bigger ones would be good to use to place an ad in local newspapers.

As for the GPS, better to be safe OR less than obvoius when using it. Police can stop you for 72 hours without cause. In other words they can arrest you for almost any reason they want and hold you without seeing a judge for 72 hours. This is Ukraine and I don't know what the current laws are in Russia. Better not to find out the "wrong way".

How soon are you going?

Offline dneid

• Just Love Those Blues
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:28 AM »
Hey, Taz,
Well, I just chastised myrddin, so I guess I need to chastise you as well.  Let's get back your posts as well.  If nothing else, I am dying to hear how things turned out for JD.  Sounds like things are going ok with Lana.  I miss the updates.  So, lock yourself in the room with plenty of food and drink and get busy, man.
Thanks,
Dale N.
Matt 11:28-30
Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the west behind

Offline Taz

« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:25 AM »
Hold your horses there.  ;)

I am in the middle of planning my next vacation and it has become a full time second job for me it seems. I am working with a foreign travel agency to do something pretty incredible and it is a royal PITA but worth the effort. Maybe I can throw you a bone later on today if I have a chance.

Offline Taz

Just when you thought it was safe, he’s backkkkkkk!
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
Ok, ok, I interrupt my trip planning to bring you this next episode.

Lana and I get moving and go to meet SK and Zhana at their place. We have quite a few things to do over the next few days. I want to show them as much of Crimea as possible without being on the road every single minute. I really want to just relax a bit in Spol. Regardless of what else we do, we need to get some food supplies today. I’d like to hit another club with the women as well. The club in Mari is still vividly etched in my mind!

Victory Day is coming up pretty soon. Spol is a hero city with respect to WWII so it is a pretty cool place to be. The biggest concern for me is the weather as it seems variable over the next few days so we’ll have to plan carefully to make the most of it. It definitely won’t be too warm but there is a chance of rain and possibly cooler temps.

While there is a pause in our day. I give MD a call. He’s doing pretty well. Mr. Rico Suave is slaying the women. He is pretty involved with a couple of them. I’ve given him advice on a few of them that seems to mirror what R the agency owner has told him too about these women. Things seem though in general progressing quite nicely and he feels a strong connection with several of them. I’ll let him talk more about that in his report. Main thing is he is ok on his own and the women seem to be looking out for him. He doesn’t have any hot water in his apartment and neither did SK the last day before we left. All I can think of is “welcome to Ukraine MD!” I’ve sometimes taking just a sponge bath for days when I was in Siberia in the winter and the “hot” water was just warm enough that there were no icicles in it.

Another friend of mine is in town as I’ve mentioned and we plan to meet when it is convenient. Matter of fact we first met face to face in Spol quite a few years ago. Meanwhile I have a bunch of plans for the day. There are a lot of sights I want to see. The woman are willing and so are we. If I get things a bit out of order it is because the next few days were a blend of paradise and a blur. So many things going on that I didn’t have much time to take notes. I would wake up early with Lana and we wouldn’t finally go to sleep until sometime around 1-2 am and then start the cycle over again. I pretty much remember the highest of the high points! There were a lot of high points and thankfully not very many low ones. Basically any low point involved JD.

Speaking of JD, he plans to come over the Spol for a day trip so to speak. His woman, Nasty Girl, has to work and he was thinking about popping over for the day to meet up with the me and the other guy I know. I tell him no need to meet up with me. I’m pretty busy not to mention I don’t need that little storm cloud that seems to fall him everywhere rain on my parade! Things are going really well with Lana at the moment and I want to keep that momentum rolling!!! JD won’t be dissuaded from coming over so I tell him I’ll meet but it won’t be for long. He will be in JUST for the day and take the bus back later. I tell him I’ll just meet and say hello.

He has an apartment that Dima and K helped him find in Simf so he doesn’t want to spend any money for lodging in Spol so I know he won’t stay in town for long. He seems to be in a pretty good mood though. When he is in a good mood, he is a great guy to be around. When he is feeling blue, the walls come tumbling around him. I don’t want to be there during the next collapse! I don’t want to be the collateral damage so to speak. He’ll be over in a few hours he says. I can hardly wait…how about you?

Offline Taz

What is the Ukrainian Pompeii or Russian Troy?
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2008, 09:58:35 PM »
Lana and I are enjoying our time at SK’s and Zhana’s place. The women are just chit-chatting and having a good time together. For not having met each other that long ago they’ve proven to be decent traveling companions for one another. All in all I am pretty amazed for how well all of us have gotten along together. It truly has been pretty harmonious. At that time I can’t see bringing it up as a general topic while there but I was pretty pleased by it then and can reflect back on it now.

JD calls me and tells me he is in town. I stop by briefly to meet him. He seems in pretty good spirits so I don’t know how long that will last but I’ll take it anyway. We chat for a few minutes by Hotel Ukraine and then I leave as soon as I can. We have a pretty hectic day ahead of us and I want to get started.

I go back and round up the troops and we head out for the day. I take everyone around for a quick tour of Spol and then we head toward Khersones. Khersones was once a pretty thriving Greek city founded about 2500 years ago. It is sometimes referred to as the Ukrainian Pompeii or Russian Troy. If you are ever in the area I HIGHLY recommend you see these ruins. There you can see a mix of Greek, Roman and Byzantine cultures.

Last time I didn’t have time to take Lana for a in depth tour so we definitely had to do it this time. So we arrive a bit after noon. It is in May so we don’t have really long days and the weather isn’t exactly overly warm I encourage everyone to get a move-on as there is a lot to see. We get our tickets and head through the gate. If you go straight ahead you go to the beautiful church that has be constructed over the remains of an original church. Unfortunately the girls decided to make a detour off to the right.

I normally wouldn’t mind but I felt time was sort of tight if we want to see all of. I knew once the sun started to drop it would definitely cool off and it was already a windy day. I decided to just go with the flow and not play “guide”. The girls have spotted a beach and I know we’ll end up there sooner or later.

I remember some interesting ruins and in this area so I steer Lana to it. SK and Zhana are making out somewhere and I don’t want to interrupt. Nah, just kidding, they are off looking at what interests them. I suggest Lana walk down this stone wall to a pretty unique area for photos. Two thousand photos later we are done with her modeling shots. Actually it was probably about 50 and it included me in a few. I saw this pretty good sized boulder and I picked it up over my head. She thought I looked like Atlas holding the world above my head and she wanted a photo.

Of course she couldn’t get the camera to take the shot quickly and I am quickly tiring of holding about a 100kg boulder over my head. I’m not kidding, it was an easy 100kg and pretty awkward to handle. Finally about the time my arms are giving out she gets the shot. At this point I just want to drop it anywhere but on my toes. By the time she got the photo it truly looked like I had the world on my shoulders. Thankfully I had been working out like a fiend before going over and I was in pretty good shape.

I have to admit Lana was looking particularly hot today and the photos really brought it out. She was wearing this pink sweater and black pants. I am a big fan of sweaters and the black pants just really made the pink sweater “pop”. By the time our little photo shoot was over I didn’t want it to end. Actually I didn’t care if we finished touring the rest of Khersones as I had other pursuits in mind.

Offline Taz

What kind of cursed luck do I have at times?
« Reply #298 on: July 13, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

We spotted SK and Z and walked over to meet them. While on the way to meet them, I thought I had lost something and went back to look for it. Somehow I ended up stepping in a hole and falling down on to a really big rock. Incredible pain went shooting through my arm. I hit so hard I actually bounced up and then landed on another big rock covered in some plant debris. My immediate thought was I fractured my arm. There was a huge indentation in my skin and I knew it was going to hurt far worse in a few hours.

While laying there and trying to take stock of the situation, I noticed the indentation was more than just an indentation. I had a river of blood flowing down my arm. Then to top it all off I realized I just ruined a very expensive shirt. It was one I had stashed in my pack and I was trying not to use it since I still didn’t have my luggage. I had no dry clothes to wear after washing them the night before. so this was my only choice for the day. It was literally the first time I wore it and it was now trashed beyond salvation. I was saving it for a nice nightclub. That was the least of my concerns but mostly just added insult to my injuries. Lucky for me I just missed hitting my head on a rock that given my relatively recent concussion likely could have been fatal! On one hand I was totally pissed off I had trashed a really cool shirt on the other hand I was happy I wasn't dead. Then the searing pained wiped any of those thoughts from my mind and reinforced the fact I wasn't dead.

I tried to get up and I couldn’t use my arm at all. I finally staggered to my feet and gingerly walked back to Lana. I didn’t let on to what happed but my arm was totally useless and I was in an incredible amount of pain. When she went to hug me she touched my arm and when I grimaced she looked down and saw the river of blood flowing down my arm, she obviously wondered what happened. I couldn’t exactly lie and say “nothing dear” as the blood contiuned to cascade over my watch band and left a trail that would likely attract sharks from 10 miles away if there were any in the area.

She just shook her head and looked at me like Stan would at Ollie. She cleans me up as best she could but it is obvious she is concerned about my wound. I am more concerned about the bone. After patching me up we continue on to meet SK and Z. I roll my sleeve up so the blood won’t be as obvious and at the application of direct pressure has finally staunched the bleeding. What a way to start our day! I could use a big shot of vodka right at the moment to deaden the pain but I’ll soldier on for the rest of the day. I thought I had some ibuprofen in my pocket but I only have one 250mg tablet. I chew it up and try to swallow it but the taste is disgusting. I finally get it down but I really could use something to drink right about now.

We all finally meet on the way to the beach. The girls want some photos in the ruins and then finally at the beach. I felt like I was shooting an SI swimsuit calendar without the bikinis. It was fun and it took my mind off the pain. I knew it wasn’t going to be fun to drive the car since it was a stickshift.  Hopefully by the time we returned my arm might be better.

While at the beach they were thinking the same thing I was thinking; “Why didn’t they bring their bikinis!!!!” We were in a semi-secluded area and it was blocked from the strong wind so it was almost warm here. It would have been a nice place to sunbathe and I would have been more than happy to be the primary lotion spreader. It is a thankless job but somebody has to do it! Why not me??? OK SwissKid could help too. Might as well share the wealth…I’m not greedy.

Since no bikinis are present we sit and chat for a bit. It so far has been a pretty interesting day. I might have fractured my arm but at least the wonderful scenery (Lana and Z) before my eyes are at least taking the focus off my pain. We have a lot more to see yet so it’s time to get walking.

Offline SANDRO43

Re: What kind of cursed luck do I have at times?
« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
Somehow I ended up stepping in a hole and falling down on to a really big rock. Incredible pain went shooting through my arm. I hit so hard I actually bounced up and then landed on another big rock covered in some plant debris. My immediate thought was I fractured my arm. There was a huge indentation in my skin and I knew it was going to hurt far worse in a few hours.
From horse kicks to pit falls :o ? Maybe you should consider some medevac insurance for your next trip to the FSU  ::) ;D.
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2238
Total: 2249

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM