It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Why Russian women?  (Read 24939 times)

Offline rjd400

Re: Why Russian women?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
As a newbie here, I'll offer what my outlook is..I think there are two reasons I have started to investigate a relationship with a FSUW.  1- Larger pool of women overall to draw from and 2- My preferences in qualities of a women.

While I am interested in FSUW, it doesn't mean they are the only women I am looking at.  I intend to continue corresponding, and socializing, with any women I think might be my match, regardless of where she is from.

Also, I did have a short experience dating a Ukrainian gal for a short while.  I'm not being sterotypical here.  Even though it didn't work out, she had a lot of qualities I liked.  Her outlook on life, her practicality, her focus on appearance (while not seeming shallow) things like that.  I know this is NOT the realm of only FSUW.  But, from the things I've read, the culture does influence some similarities.  Much like all AW, while different, probably appear to other cultures to have similar characteristics.  This is not to say there aren't AW with the qualities I find important.  There are.  But if there are women in another part of the world who have these qualities, why shouldn't I pursue them as well?

Given my very "wet behind the ears" outlook, I'd say that to think you are going to look for a FSUW and magically find something you couldn't at home is unreasonable.  But if seek certain qualities, by looking at the FSU you may have a bigger pool of people to look for "the one" from.

But like I said, I'm a newbie, and may be in for a rude awakening.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
As a newbie here, I'll offer what my outlook is..I think there are two reasons I have started to investigate a relationship with a FSUW.  1- Larger pool of women overall to draw from and 2- My preferences in qualities of a women.

While I am interested in FSUW, it doesn't mean they are the only women I am looking at.  I intend to continue corresponding, and socializing, with any women I think might be my match, regardless of where she is from.

Also, I did have a short experience dating a Ukrainian gal for a short while.  I'm not being sterotypical here.  Even though it didn't work out, she had a lot of qualities I liked.  Her outlook on life, her practicality, her focus on appearance (while not seeming shallow) things like that.  I know this is NOT the realm of only FSUW.  But, from the things I've read, the culture does influence some similarities.  Much like all AW, while different, probably appear to other cultures to have similar characteristics.  This is not to say there aren't AW with the qualities I find important.  There are.  But if there are women in another part of the world who have these qualities, why shouldn't I pursue them as well?

Given my very "wet behind the ears" outlook, I'd say that to think you are going to look for a FSUW and magically find something you couldn't at home is unreasonable.  But if seek certain qualities, by looking at the FSU you may have a bigger pool of people to look for "the one" from.

But like I said, I'm a newbie, and may be in for a rude awakening.

Bob,
IMHO, you are in it for all the right reasons and should do very well. The rude awakenings seem to appear when you start letting the little head do the thinking of the big head. These same rude awakenings can hit you on the local fare of women as well for the same reason. You seem to have a good sense about you. Keep reading and learn to separate the wheat from the chafe. There is ample of both here. There's lots of guys and gals here who know what the real deal is and don't mind sharing it with those open enough to accept it.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »
Welcome Pacifica. Me thinks you live on the west coast....:)

Why do men go to the FSU?

1. They can't cut it here when it comes to dating.

2. They have a low self image. (kinda like #1) The internet allows them to be someone other than who they really are.

3. They think they can "buy" a woman. MOB "Mail Order Bride" mentality.

4. They have the "Knight in Shining Armor" complex.

5. They buy into the agency hype.

6. They just happen to be there for some reason and get sucked in like a sock into a vacuum cleaner. Then there's no escaping!

7. They like the sexy accent :)

8. They can get a younger woman.

9. They can get a prettier woman.

10. It is perceived as easier.

11. They think they can dominate an FSUW.

12. They think a woman from the FSU will have no option but to put up with their shit.

Let me see, what am I leaving out? Oh hell, I'm gonna stick with the sexy accent :)
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Vaughn

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
13) They're tired of getting dumped by "Jennifers" and "Ashleys"

14) They really believe they can use language barrier to their advantage.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 08:16:55 PM »
13) They're tired of getting dumped by "Jennifers" and "Ashleys"

14) They really believe they can use language barrier to their advantage.

Vaughn...do you mean they'd rather get dumped by Olgas and Katyas?

Language barrier, what language barrier? The woman of my dreams need only know three words:

Beer

Food

Sex

What more is there? :)

"Just in case someone doesn't understand, THATS A JOKE ! ! ! "
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline I/O

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »
JR: Perhaps you subscribe to the adage a woman requires 4 attributes?

1) Look like a girl
2) Act like a lady
3) Think like a man
4) Work like a dog

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
Welcome pacifica.

4) Work like a dog

In Russia we usually say "work like a horse"  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:02:50 PM by OlgaH »

Offline pacifica

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
Dating with marriage as an immediate goal instead of a natural progression just isn't attractive to many people.

It's understandable in your 20s, but if you are older and want to start a family, you don't have a lot of time to date each person for months and only then find out they are not interested in getting married.

Why do you think that is?

It probably has something to do with men-to-women ratio, which on local sites is around 2-3 guys to one girl.

Offline Misha

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
It probably has something to do with men-to-women ratio, which on local sites is around 2-3 guys to one girl.

In my city, when I was dating, the ratio of men to somewhat attractive women was probably closer to 10-to-1 or even higher  :evil:

Offline pacifica

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
Welcome Pacifica. Me thinks you live on the west coast....:)

No, I am from St. Louis, MO. Why west coast?

They like the sexy accent :)

I could never figure out what's so sexy about the accent :) Is it any accent or just the Russian one?

Offline pacifica

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
In my city, when I was dating, the ratio of men to somewhat attractive women was probably closer to 10-to-1 or even higher  :evil:

How about a ratio of somewhat attractive men to somewhat attractive women? :)

Offline Misha

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
How about a ratio of somewhat attractive men to somewhat attractive women? :)

Still would be disproportionately better for women. Went to one of the local dating agencies in my city to see if there might be any relatively young (i.e. 35 or younger) women that were somewhat attractive who had some kind of education. The owner came back and said that she knew of one such woman who would be perfect. She checked and saw that this one woman has already found someone. In other words, eligible women, even somewhat attractive, do not stay single for long in my city  :evil:

Offline remiel6

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
In my case, yes I looked in Australia, when I lived there. I knew several Ukrainian women over the years and that was what made my the idea stick in my head, and well to find the person I was looking for I would have gone anywhere, even the Sahara if she said that was where she was. I happened to start here, and well being worldly traveled I tend to find American attitudes on things annoying and irritating. So I exhausted local girls and by local I mean girls in the five states I've lived in. I happened to then look elsewhere. So, from a certain point of view the Ukraine was 3rd. US, Australia, Ukraine. I would have probably tried Italy and France next, but I did not need to. Italy largely for an excuse to go to Venice and France to follow my obsession with Rimbaud. Women would have been the second reason to travel. Also like many others tried dating sites and found by and large for me they were a waste of time. I am not "normal" guy. So the search was a bit longer. Also I think I may be in the minority of men here who has not been married before. So once my fiance arrives and I get married it will be for the first time.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »
I could never figure out what's so sexy about the accent

Neither can I. I never found Eastern European accent sexy.....After a while, it actually gets to be annoying...  :)

My wife had been trying to get rid of hers because it's starting to give her a complex now that she have to converse with people on the work force.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
I could never figure out what's so sexy about the accent :) Is it any accent or just the Russian one?

I always found European accents charming, amusing, mysterious and intriguing. My paternal
grandparents spoke with rather thick Swedish accents so early on we children were naturally
trained to appreciate and understand them. There was also a 16 year old exchange student
from Scandinavia named Ingela - whose accent and beauty seemed to disrupt many friendships
between American boys, most of whom vied for her attention, or the seat next to her.

To me, a nice Euro accent implies exoticism and culture, and therefore is appealing to me. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »

I could never figure out what's so sexy about the accent :)  Is it any accent or just the Russian one?

The Russian accent is harsh IMO.  However, I knew one RW whose voice was absolutely sexy.  She had a deep voice and spoke clearly and slowly with an aristocratic demeanor.  I learned later that she did commercials for radio.  Obviously the exception.

At the top of my list of sexy accents is French - more the style of the woman than the accent.  Second is a tie between Italian and Swedish (I enjoy the musical rhythm).  Worst is Dutch. 

Okay, Sandro, what is it that I do not understand?

Offline Misha

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
Neither can I. I never found Eastern European accent sexy.....

I agree with you here. However, truth be told, I speak to Russians in Russian, so I don't hear their accent all that often.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
Yes, like Gator, French is at the top of the list for me. Right up there with our southern accent. Africans (not American jive), like Rustafarian, have a nice flow to the way they speak. Portugese-speaking countries like Brazil also have a nice flowing sound with their accent.

No offense to anyone but Russian, like Japanese, Filipinos, German & Spanish speaking countries to me is a bit hard.

CE is borderline for me. Some Czech can be tantalizing...Slovaks doesn't cut it nor do Hungarians & Bulgarians.

I suppose like Misha, if you speak the language then it becomes somewhat unnoticeable - thus indifference.

edited to add...I used to be crazy for Australian accent though in hindsight that probably have more to do with Olivia Newton John. Just like Kate Beckinsale's English accent.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:11:29 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
Because it's on the Pacific Ocean I guess, and not all know that pacifica is a feminine Latin adjective meaning: quiet, tranquil, peaceful.

Mare Pacificum, "peaceful sea", was the name given to that ocean by Ferdinand Magellan, probably due to his relief after finally weathering Cape Horn ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline pacifica

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
Because it's on the Pacific Ocean I guess, and not all know that pacifica is a feminine Latin adjective meaning: quiet, tranquil, peaceful.

Oh, I see :) Yes, my username was supposed to convey my peaceful demeanor, not the ocean :)

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »
At the top of my list of sexy accents is French - more the style of the woman than the accent.  Second is a tie between Italian and Swedish (I enjoy the musical rhythm). Worst is Dutch. Okay, Sandro, what is it that I do not understand?
It's not a problem of understanding, but of personal preferences and contrasts with one's familiar sounds ;). Furthermore, there's a difference between phonetics and cadence (rhythm).

I've already pointed out that very distinctive traits of Russian phonetics are: 'closed' Os (often sounding like WOs), velar Ls (as in Portuguese and more so in Brazilian) and, to Anglo-Saxon ears, rolled Rs and difficulties with THs.

French: nasal vowels, guttural Rs (same as in German, probably imported there by the Franks), and oxytonic words (accent falls mostly on their last syllable) - which in turn is responsible for its characteristic iambic/dactylic cadence (ta-TA, ta-ta-TA).

I have little familiarity with Dutch, although I can usually recognise it from its rasped Rs, similar to Brazilian, and I must confess my almost total ignorance of Swedish: I'm not particularly attracted by Scandinavian languages in general, and have had no opportunity, yet, of giving them a once over ;D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »

St. Louis....Damn!

You don't have to figure out the accent. Just stand back and watch it's power to melt men into puddy :) And no it isn't just any accent. For example, I find most Asian accents to be annoying. Sorry to all my Asian friends, being honest. Isn't that funny thouht, I find the Asian looks very exotic.

Offline Jooky

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
Quote from: pacifica
It's understandable in your 20s, but if you are older and want to start a family...

I was relating the dating scene as I know it in California. What's it like in Missouri? Do people talk about marriage in an introduction, on a first date, or after a few dates?

Besides, most men looking for a bride in Russia are chasing girls in their 20s.  :P

Yup and I'm sure that a few guys get many responses to the many guys that get none. It's one reason looking in Russia becomes very attractive. On a bridal site anyone can get responses.  ;) Still, I do think even in normal life in Russia a woman will give an average guy more of a shot or window of opportunity then he'd get back home.

How about a ratio of somewhat attractive men to somewhat attractive women?

Good question. How do you see this in St. Louis? I've had several Russian women visit California tell me they see many more 'hot dudes' here relative to sexy women, and it's the opposite in Russia. Unfortunately for them, that doesn't extend to international dating.  :P

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
I've been divorced for several years, and recently have started looking for a partner/husband on websites like Match.

What  is the most popular responses from men on Match.com when they learn you are Russian?
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

Offline Misha

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »
Still, I do think even in normal life in Russia a woman will give an average guy more of a shot or window of opportunity then he'd get back home.

That was my experience with Russian dating sites. It was quite easy to chat with a woman online and arrange a date in a couple of days, even for that same evening. Didn't mean that the date would lead to anything, but I found that women were more likely to meet with you for a quick date to check you out. In Canada, you would have to chat for weeks with a somewhat attractive women, the few that were available online, before she would maybe acquiesce to a date  :rolleyes2: It all boils down to a numbers game: in Russia a decent guy can easily meet much larger numbers of interested women and out of those interested women you have a much better chance of meeting the one. Also, it was easier finding in my experience a woman willing to move to Canada from Russia, than finding a woman willing to consider moving from one city to another within Canada or even the same province within Canada.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541781
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1660
Most Online Ever: 12701